MENTAL HEALTH AWARE YOGA TRAINING with Dr Lauren Tober
21st – 23rd February 2020
Hosted by Jo Smith at Mana Studio
150 Murray Street
Begins 24th January 2020
Self paced, includes online lectures, self directed practicum and multiple choice questions.
To be completed before the face-to-face component.
REGISTER YOUR PLACE ON THE COURSE
A$1129 early bird (or $300 deposit + $879 on 15th January)
A$1295 full price from 9th January 2020
Your Consent Tokens will be shipped to you before the face-to-face component of the training
Deposit is non-refundable
Cancellations before 9/1/20 will receive a refund minus A$300
No refund for cancellations from 9/1/20
ONLINE COMPONENT STARTS
Mental Health Aware Yoga is a 50 hour professional development training program for Yoga Teachers and Teachers-In-Training.
The training is a hybrid model that includes:
- 30 hours online lectures, reading and self directed practicum
- 20 hours face-to-face training over 3 days
You'll also receive:
- Detailed printed training manual
- Teacher's pack of Consent Tokens custom made by Dr Lauren Tober
- Certificate of Completion *
- Listing on the Mental Health Aware Yoga website *
- Use of the Mental Health Aware Yoga logo on your website *
- Priority for post-training mentoring with Dr Lauren Tober
- Be part of an ongoing community of like-minded teachers
* Upon completing the full requirements for the training.
IS THIS TRAINING RIGHT FOR ME?
This training is designed specifically for Yoga Teachers (and Yoga Teachers-In-Training)
THIS TRAINING MIGHT BE FOR YOU IF:
- You want to learn how to best support your yoga students experiencing mental health challenges in your general yoga classes
- You have an interest in mental health and yoga psychology
- You are a Yoga Teacher and a Mental Health Professional and would like to learn how to integrate these two fields
- You are interested in traditional AND evidence based practice
- You are committed to ongoing professional and personal development
- You want to meet like-minded colleagues
- You are big-hearted, compassionate and have an open mind
THIS TRAINING IS NOT:
- For therapists wanting to learn yoga skills for the therapy room (please start by completing a Yoga Teacher Training course)
- To learn to become a therapist (it takes many years to do this)
- For Yoga Teachers who want prescriptive postures, practices and sequences for mental health (it's not that simple)
- For Yoga Teachers who are currently experiencing their own mental health crisis (please seek support from a therapist and connect back in with us when you're ready)
Dr Lauren Tober is a Clinical Psychologist, Life Coach and Senior Yoga Teacher based in Mullumbimby, Australia.
With a passion for health, healing, happiness and awakening Lauren integrates the best of western psychology with ancient yogic wisdom, both on and off the mat.
Lauren is the founder of the Centre for Mind Body Wellness and Capturing Gratitude (a global photographic happiness project) and is the creator of several acclaimed online courses, including Meditation Pure + Simple, Living Your Heartfelt Desires and A Daily Dose of Bliss.
Her work is soulful without being new-agey. It's evidence based, without being clinical. It's authentic, heartfelt and life changing.
Lauren has been featured in The Huffington Post, Australian Yoga Journal, ABC Radio, Well Being Magazine, Australian Yoga Life Magazine, Sydney Morning Herald, Peppermint Magazine, Collective Hub and more.
A long time yoga practitioner, Lauren has worked as a Psychologist and Yoga Teacher since 2003 and a Yoga Teacher Trainer since 2009.
ONLINE COMPONENT STARTS
SIX PILLARS OF MENTAL HEALTH AWARE YOGA
This professional development training program for Yoga Teachers explores the six pillars of Mental Health Aware Yoga. You'll develop skills to support your yoga students experiencing mental health challenges, so they (and you) can thrive and flourish.
- Western Psychology
- Yoga Psychology
- Safe Container
- Therapeutic Skills
- Yogic Practices
- Mental Health Crisis
In this first pillar of Mental Health Aware Yoga, we'll look at mental health through the lens of Western Psychology including:
- Depressive Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Trauma Disorders
In the second pillar we’ll explore the foundations of Yoga Psychology, including:
- Patañjali's model of yoga psychology
- Depression, anxiety and the gunas
- Yoga as cultivating sattva
In the third pillar you’ll learn how to Create a Safe Container, including:
- The sacred role of the teacher
- Professional boundaries and ethics
- Creating a safe and nourishing environment for your students
- Touch and hands-on assists
- Helping (not rescuing)
- Scope of practice and when to refer
- The vinyasa of welcoming and farewelling your students
- Partner work
- Mentoring and Supervision
- Social media and promotion
- Self practice, self care and self enquiry
- What to do when ethical dilemmas arise
In the fourth pillar you'll learn Therapeutic Skills for Yoga Teachers, including:
- Meeting your students where they are
- Creating an individualised practice
- Moving together
- Skillful language
- Effective listening
- Unconditional positive regard
In the fifth pillar we’ll explore traditional and evidence-based Yogic Practices for mental health, including:
- Yoga and mental health research
- Assessing (not diagnosing) your students
- Contraindications (what not to do)
- Compassionate non-judgemental witnessing presence
- Sankalpa Bhâvâna
- Teaching themes
In the sixth pillar of Mental Health Aware Yoga, we’ll discuss what to do in a Mental Health Crisis, including:
- How to respond when students cry
- What to do if a student has a panic attack or trauma reaction
- What to do if a student discloses suicide ideation or self harm
ONLINE COMPONENT STARTS